Baby massage can help babies with sleep, wind, colic and relaxation.
Long before babies are able to speak, or even respond to sounds and sights, they communicate with the world around them through touch. The power of touch to soothe and heal is instinctive. If a baby cries, for example, we may cuddle them or rub their back. Massaging your baby is an extension of this natural impulse.
You can start baby massage from the day baby is born (if your baby was premature, wait until they reach their due date). Infant massage classes are best for babies over six weeks, as younger babies may find the environment too overwhelming before then.
If you would like to find out more about massaging your baby, visit our salon or give us a call to learn more about it.
Benefits of Baby Massage
You may enjoy baby massaging because:
- It is a great way of strengthening your bond with your baby.
- It can help you become more confident with handling your child and better at recognising her needs.
- Baby massage is also a great way for partners, grandparents and siblings to bond with the newest addition to the family.
- Massaging the jaw can relax a baby who has just begun to take solids.
- Massaging the gums through the skin may ease the pain of teething.
- A face massage can unblock a blocked nose.
- Massage can alleviate the effects of postnatal depression and help a mother have a more positive interaction with their child.
- Massaging raises levels of the ‘feel-good’ hormone oxytoxin in both you and your baby, helping you both feel calmer and relaxed. (This can also help with breastfeeding).
- Your baby’s muscles relax, breathing becomes deeper and the oil nourishes your child’s skin. Skin stimulation also provides a vital trigger to the nervous system.
- It can also provide relief – massaging your baby’s tummy, for example, can help ease colic, constipation or trapped wind.
Feel Better Days
33a High Street, Bridgwater, Somerset.
Tel: 01278 427115
Book an Appointment
Click the button to visit our online booking system where you can make an appointment.
Monday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm