History of Manicures
The actual word “Manicure” comes from the Latin “Manus” meaning hand and “Cura” meaning care.
Throughout history nail care/ hand care has always been prominent across many cultures.
Some of these include:
- 5000 years ago in India, nails were adorned and stained using Henna. Babylonian noblemen used solid gold tools to perform manicures and pedicures on themselves.
- In China (3000BC), painted and groomed nails were part of a social status, higher class nobles and royals were typically seen with their nails painted either red or black.
- Evidence of manicures can also be seen in ancient Egyptian carvings (2400BC), where bas-relief carvings depict people working on both hands and feet.
- Roman soldiers (commanders) also painted their nails to match their lips before they went into battle.
- The first ever nail polish came from America in 1917 and it was a blush pink colour.
- Manicure treatments saw a major growth around the 1920’s and started to become ever more in demand for both health and beauty reasons.
- Today we see a growing industry of manicurists and nail art technicians, the industry is constantly going through changes and adding new and exciting technology but a good manicure acts as a foundation to most new treatments.
Our Manicure Services:
Shape & Paint
This simple treatment allows you to have beautifully shaped & polished nails when you don’t have the time for a full manicure. Treatment time: 25mins
This wonderful treatment using our Ark Skincare products gives you a relaxing hand soak, cuticle removal, hand and arm massage and shape & paint. Treatment time: 40mins
This luxury treat pampers your hands using the very best products. You will receive a relaxing hand soak, cuticle removal, hand mask, hand exfoliant, hand & arm massage and shape & paint. Treatment time: 1hr
Super Luxury Manicure
This wonderful treatment puts you into pure hand and feet heaven, during this treatment you will receive our Luxury Manicure treatment + Gel Polish application. Treatment time: 2hrs
All treatment times listed are approximate and your appointment may be shorter or longer, so the above times should be used as a guide only.
Feel Better Days
33a High Street, Bridgwater, Somerset.
Tel: 01278 427115
Book an Appointment
Click the button to visit our online booking system where you can make an appointment.
Monday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm